Sunday, February 14, 2021

New Idea for Film Opening

The other day me and some of my friends faced a genuine scare, which I would not like to discuss in detail, but in short it gave me an idea for my film opening.

Recently, I have been listening to this album called Everywhere at the End of  Time by The Caretaker. In layman's terms, its a six-hour long album which simulates the development of dementia, probably one of the only pieces of work in the horror genre which genuinely chills me to the bone. Strangely enough, I almost find this album beautiful in a way. It's not much in terms of musicality, it mostly consists of slow ballroom music and contains no lyrics, but as you continue listening (about a couple hours in) the music starts becoming much more menacing in a subtle way. It starts slowing down even more, and some of the instruments start to stutter and go off-key. Later into the album, it slowly becomes more and more distorted until it's just static.

Some album cover art from the various "Stages"

Truly horrifying. The psychological horror of this album is truly admirable, and I would even say this album is somewhat cathartic, in the sense that its almost like a projection of your inner subconscious. I digress however, point being is that I would like to create a film opening which uses the introduction of the album as the background score; the opening to a piece of psychological horror. Shots would be empty and unmoving, with very little elements and subjects to contrast. The tone of the piece would be desolate, leaving the viewer with a feeling of loneliness, almost as trapped in a fever dream or alternate reality. 

I was thinking something similar in tone to these pictures:


No comments:

Post a Comment